The faculty and staff of the Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library at the University of Utah invite applications for a Research Librarian. The Research Librarian reports directly to the Associate Director for Education and Research and is responsible for supporting clinical and bench science biomedical researchers through reference, literature searching, outreach, and education. Primary domains for the Research Librarian’s outreach and education are biomedical scholarly communication, grant cycles and compliance responsibilities, data management planning, and research impact measurement. Depending on the qualifications and interest of the successful candidate, the Research Librarian may be embedded within the Health Sciences campus. Candidates with bench research experience and outgoing personalities are particularly sought. Other duties may be assigned. This position is a full-time, tenure track faculty position. All librarians are expected to contribute to the profession through service, scholarship, outreach, and mentoring.
The mission of the Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library is to advance and transform education, research, and health care through dynamic technologies, evidence application, and collaborative partnerships. The Library contributes to the success of health professionals, students, researchers and the community. The Library is recognized locally and nationally as a leader of intellectual exploration and as a catalyst for innovative discovery. The University of Utah Health Sciences Center is known for cutting-edge research, particularly in genetics and biomedical informatics, and its Center for Clinical & Translational Science was refunded by the NIH in 2013. Health services research, personalized health care, population health and innovation are new key research areas.
The Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library (http://library.med.utah.edu) serves University of Utah Health Care, the Intermountain West’s only academic health sciences center, including the Schools of Medicine and Dentistry and the Colleges of Nursing, Pharmacy and Health as well as the University Hospitals and Clinics. The Library also serves as headquarters for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, MidContinental Region and the National Library of Medicine Training Center. It is a member of the Utah Academic Library Consortium, the Medical Library Association, the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, and the Association of Research Libraries.
- Graduate degree from an ALA-accredited library school or other relevant accredited graduate degree
- Flexibility and adaptability for work in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work as a team member and independently
- Commitment to diversity in the workplace and community
- Willingness to seek membership in the Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP)
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in basic sciences or health-related field
- Bench science, pharmacy, or clinical research experience
- Previous professional work experience within health sciences libraries
- Experience with evidence-based information retrieval and in-depth literature searching
- Knowledge of biomedical information resources, data management, and traditional and alternative research impact measurement tools
- Experience providing instruction in an academic setting
- Awareness of scholarly communication issues within the health sciences
- Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with emerging and established technologies, including mobile devices
- Sense of humor and outgoing personality
Salary and Benefits:
Based on experience, starting at $47,000 minimum annually. Position is a full-time, tenure track faculty position. Rank is dependent on the qualifications of the candidate. Faculty benefits include 200 hours of vacation, and 12 days of sick leave annually. There is a generous TIAA/ CREF retirement employer contribution. More information may be found in the University of Utah Faculty Handbook: http://admin.utah.edu/faculty-handbook. See https://www.hr.utah.edu/benefits/ for a full list of benefits.
The University of Utah uses an online application system. Please complete the online application form and submit a cover letter stating how your educational background and experience match the needs and qualifications highlighted above, and how you would contribute to the Library’s reputation and leadership; a curriculum vitae; and names of three references. Letters of recommendation will be required for final candidates.
To apply, please go to the University’s Careers page. Quick link for Posting is http://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/33442
Review of Applications: Review of application begins August 4, 2014, and continues until the position is filled.