Horizon Cataloging Guidelines
I. Modules currently available:
II. Responsibilities of participating libraries.
III. Responsibilities of Eccles Library.
- pay Ameritech fees/charges for purchase and maintenance of
their library workstation
- report problems to Eccles Library ILS coordinator
- pay for cataloging of unique records
- maintain up-to-date cataloging of collection
- purchase of the computer workstation and operating system to run
- complete training in each module before starting to use
IV. Guidelines for participation.
- maintain and support the server and database
- provide technical assistance and support
- serve as the contact point with Ameritech on all issues
- provide training in each module
V. Guidelines for information inclusion.
- participation in UHSLC as a Full Institutional Member
- allows walk-in and/or interlibrary loan access to collection
- minimal participation: reference and circulating book
VI. Guidelines for cataloging.
- books, audiovisuals, journals, computer files, reserve materials
- special materials based on library needs (e.g., patient
collections, grand rounds videotapes)
- collections only accessible by owning library (e.g, VA
equipment, departmental collections, Eccles genetics
- - MeSH subject headings - NO non-MeSH subject headings
- - author entered ONLY based on authority record (i.e., OCLC,
Marcive, RLIN, etc.)
- - NLM records perferred over all other cataloging (hierarchy:
NLM, LC, VA)
- - short bibs for ephemeral/special material ONLY
- changes/deletions may ONLY be made on your individual library's
- title required
- no author (except where author already exists exactly in
- subject headings optional but must be MeSH