, 09 Feb 2011
CDM Core Group Meeting
January 12, 2011
1. Minutes from December
meeting were discussed.
2. Usage Statistics:
The CDM Statistical package was discussed. The stats had not been compiled for 10 months. There is still a need to process 1 year of web logs. This will be time intensive. Using other analyzers such as WebTrends?
or Google Analytics was suggested. It is not clear whether those tools will be able to interpret the CDM logs. John has started looking into this, and he believes that the CDM tool will getus the best stats.
Primo stats were mentioned. Can we get stats on digital collections from Primo?
Kinza has save the logs and imported them into a spreadsheet. IP addresses are included. It would be nice to be able to filter out IP addresses of our own staff. Kinza will ask the MLIB programmers about developing an internal script that will parse and interpret the logs.
We talked about the kinds of stats we might want to see:
- Queries in individual collections,
- search results,
- phrases used,
- daily stats,
- range of dates,
- items used by collection,
- # of times downloaded
- collection level search terms
- referreres - where are our users
Jeff will contact OCLC and get the usage reports working wiht the existing data/logs. He will update us a the February meeting.
Kinza, Lisa, Jan,Val and Nancy will meet to discuss types of reports we want. If needed, we will ask MLIB programmers to develop a custom interpreter.
3. Notification Process:
See minutes from December. The notification process for server outages was reviewed. It was decided that Jeff would confirm to the CDM Core group and the CDM Power Usersgroup when servers are restored after an outage. Kinza will share Power Users list with all of us to help with notification when there are server outages. How are we supposed to communicate with Debbie on this?
4. Metadata for Faceted Fields:
- John will follow up after server outages.
- When we notice that the server is down, contact John.
- John will issue the eticekt.
- Jeff will notify John when progress is made on restoring the server.
- John will notify the group.
Tawnya will share the controlled vocabulary with Kinza for preservation fields.
We can do the same thing with Type Field. Do we want controlled vocabulary?
Sandra will provide the list of terms for Type.
5. Update on search issues with CDM:
The partition problem was causing duplicate search results. THe partitions were rebuilt and re-indexed. The partitions were defined. Jeff indexed the data in memory. Windows has a size limit of 1 GB. If it goes over, the data on the disk can get out of sync with data in memory. The partitions are restored and working again.
6. EAD Collections:
If you are using EAD collections, you may want to talk to Sandra regarding a planning grant that is being written.
7. The CDM server is freezing up.
Jeff is working with Dell VMWare support. It may not be completely reolved.
8. Leave these items ofr next month's agenda:
- MWDL DC Application Profile: Should this be the U of U standard? - Jan
- V.6 Sandbox - Anne
- Planning Grant: EAD Collaboration Project - Sandra
- V.6 - Planning for upgrade - Sandra got a preview at ALA. This version has functionality that may impact how we choose to assign metadata.
, 09 Feb 2011