Research & Education Librarian (Assistant or Associate Librarian)
Do you want to elevate the transparency, reproducibility, and replicability of academic research output? Are you passionate about improving health outcomes by identifying the best available evidence, and guiding others to find and evaluate that evidence? Then consider joining our team!
The Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library (EHSL) at the University of Utah invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty librarian at the assistant or associate level. This position will impact health outcomes in two ways – creating quality evidence syntheses and educating faculty, students, and staff in navigating the information landscape.
In partnership with researchers and librarian colleagues across campus, the Research & Education Librarian works with students and faculty to develop workable research questions and protocols, create and document expert literature searches, validate and peer review information retrieval strategies, advise on review standards and methods, support citation management, and co-author manuscripts based on completed reviews. They may also collaborate on practice guidelines, scoping reviews, narrative reviews, rapid reviews, clinical evidence summaries, and knowledge synthesis projects that directly inform clinical practice or support new and ongoing funded research. When not working on these projects, they will be planning and teaching classes in curricular and extra-curricular sessions. They will use strategic and innovative instructional design techniques to ensure high-quality, learner-centered instruction that will help learners develop their existing skills to find, evaluate, and use information effectively. They will partner with colleagues in each of these areas, sharing ideas and constantly improving their own and the team’s work.
The Research & Education Librarian reports directly to the Associate Director for Education and Research, and actively partners with other librarians and staff that make up the Clinical, Research, and Education Team. Successful candidates will bring to the position a mindset of continuous quality improvement, evaluation, collaboration, and creative problem solving. This position will require an ability to adapt positively to changes in the work environment, and a desire to build strong relationships with educators, researchers, students, and health practitioners.
The Assistant or Associate Librarian will serve along with a group of dedicated library staff and faculty. We are leaders, educators, advocates, and researchers in the University and community. We are a compassionate team of information professionals that support each other and our dreams, ideas, experiments, and professional successes. We believe in each other and in making a better, more just world through our work. We are a space of inclusion with a focus on anti-racism. Our department offers a nurturing environment of support where you can experiment with ideas and grow in your career.
- Graduate degree from an ALA-accredited library/information school or other relevant accredited graduate degree.
- Knowledge of research methodologies and expert searching.
- Familiarity with evidence synthesis search methodologies, guidelines, and standards for conducting and reporting evidence projects such as PRISMA, Cochrane and the Campbell Collaboration.
- Willingness to teach faculty, staff, and students and create curricula that is relevant and timely to the needs of learners.
- Interest and/or experience in developing, assessing, and delivering library instruction that seeks to improve lives through increased information literacy.
- Ability to situate their knowledge and experience in a social context.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Comfortable learning new technologies and processes.
- Due to University regulations, relocation to the Salt Lake City area is required, although the timeline may be flexible due to the pandemic.
To read a full list of qualifications & the position’s responsibilities, and to apply, please go to: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/112819
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Begins May 1, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Salary: $53,000 – $65,000 depending on experience and faculty rank at offer