The Eccles Health Sciences Library has partnered with the College of Nursing, Edible Campus Gardens and the FeedU Pantry to build a Seed Library! It is aimed at increasing access to locally grown food, providing food for those with food insecurity, facilitating local plant resilience to disease, and promoting community well-being for Health Sciences students, staff and faculty.
The role of the Eccles Health Sciences Library Sustainability Committee is to assist EHSL in meeting the University of Utah’s sustainability mission to create a culture of students, faculty and staff who are socially, economically and environmentally responsible.
- To promote and implement sustainability initiatives
- To facilitate awareness of sustainability issues
- To encourage broader involvement in sustainability efforts
- Where do/can we recycle various materials?
- Is our current recycling effort effective? Is stuff getting recycled?
- Energy Conservation
- Signage and reminders – turn off the water, the computer, your monitor, the lights – signs and slides on monitors
- Sustainable Campus Initiative Fund (SCIF) – investigate grant funding of our ideas
- Request a new EHSL energy assessment.
- Green Office Certification
- Promoting sustainability – publicize on panels with slides, on-boarding information, regular awareness raising efforts, programming
- Equipment and Supplies
- Recycling and Composting
- Energy and Water Use
- Travel and Transportation
- Communication with Campus and Beyond
- Green Education and Training
EHSL with invitation to other units in the building to join in the effort with communication to the firstname.lastname@example.org list
[authoravatars roles=administrator,editor whitelistusers=joang,nancyl,robertmillsap,pstroh,brandonpatterson user_link=authorpage display=show_name,show_biography order=display_name,asc avatar_size=116]
- Jarvis, C, Gregory, JM, LeBer J. Making it Easy: Green and Sustainable Library Event Planning. Medical Library Association. Chicago, IL, May 19, 2014.
- Gregory JM, Nichols K, Wilson M. Building Sustainable Partnerships: Libraries as Partners In Creating and Supporting Campus Green Teams. Medical Library Association, Chicago, IL, May 18, 2014.
- Nichols, KE, Gregory JM, Willson M. Libraries as Partners in Creating and Supporting Campus Green Teams. Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. Nashville, TN, October 7, 2013.