The IRC (Internet Relay Chat) software mIRC is already installed on the PC's in the Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library Computer and Media Lab. To start a chat session:
Please ask for assistance at the Computer and Media Desk should you need any additional help with mIRC.
- Find the mIRC chat software in the Netscape & Internet folder from the Microsoft Office Toolbar.
- Open the mIRC folder and then double- click on the mIRC program icon to run mIRC.
- When the "mIRC Set-up" dialog box appears, choose any DAL.net server and select "Connect".
- Note: Make sure to fill in the boxes for "Real Name", "E-Mail", "Nickname", and "Alternate" .
(note: you do not need to use your real name(s); you can also use a nickname in place of your e-mail address.
- In the "mIRC Channels" dialog box that appears next, type "utahrei" in the box that asks "Enter name of channel to join" or select "utahrei" from the scrolling list.
- You are now ready for a virtual question and answer session!
You can also find more information on using mIRC at the following websites:
- See the IRC Chat client homepage for information on how to use, download and install mIRC on your Windows95 or Win3.1 machine at: http://www.mirc.co.uk
- Another helpful useful site is the Help Page for the IRC Chat Client at: mIRChttp://www.irchelp.org:8080/irchelp/mirc
- If you are working on a Macintosh you can download a Mac version at:
- 1. the Ircle home page at http://www.xs4all.nl/~ircle/#3 : or
- 2. another version called Homer at : http://wwwhost.ots.utexas.edu/mac/internet-misc.html#homer-0934
- Another useful site for getting information on downloading and installing IRC software for both Mac and PC's can be found at the Download IRC and FAQ's homepage at : http://www.netmagic.net:80/~mara/westcoast/irc.htm